Established in 1908, the St. Williams Forestry Station was the first reforestation project in Canada. Its purpose was to convert blow sands of Norfolk County back into woodlots and to grow seedlings for distribution to other areas. Its development and success was due in large part to three gentlemen, LtCol. Arthur C. Pratt, Walter F. McCall, and Dr. Edmund J. Zavitz. They secured the land and convinced the Ontario Government that soil conservation was critical and could be achieved through reforestation.
Throughout its history, the nursery has produced millions of bareroot reforestation seedlings.